Tuesday, 19 November 2013

FESTIVE BAKING






























Hi lovelies :)

Bit of a different kind of post today but I was rather proud of my gingerbread house hehe. Most weekends, I go with my Mum to work at the hotel both my parents run (The Forresters Hotel). I make a lot of desserts and sweet things at the hotel because I love to bake. Since it's heading towards Christmas, my Mum thought it would be a good idea if I made a gingerbread house to display in the dessert cabinet. I'd never made one before so I thought I would give it a whirl!

I thought it was going to be tricky, but they're actually super easy to make. I used BBC Good Food's recipe for a simple gingerbread house. The recipe has a little template you can print out so basically all you do is make the gingerbread dough and cut it into the pieces on the template. Then once you've cooked your gingerbread pieces and they've cooled, you just assemble it and start decorating. I assembled mine with super thick glacé icing and then put it into the freezer to firm up. Then to decorate it I used white chocolate buttons, strawberry chocolate buttons, milk chocolate buttons and  chocolate truffles. The windows and door are made of white chocolate and the little lollipops at the side are circles of spare gingerbread, dipped in chocolate and then sprinkles. Yummy or what! To give it that last Christmasy look I covered the cake board in thick white icing to look like snow and then used little buttons to create a foot path.

Anyway, I hope you like my little gingerbread house and tell me what you think! Festive baking is so much more fun than regular baking.