Wednesday, 8 October 2014

MY EXPERIENCE WITH BRACES


It's been a couple of months since I've had my braces taken off, so I thought I would share my experience of having them on. Hopefully this will be helpful to anyone who is getting/thinking of getting them.

To begin with I never had majorly bad teeth. I just had one upper tooth which was a bit further back than the rest, and then a few other that were a bit out of place. The upper tooth bothered me, so I asked my dentist if I could be referred to an orthodontist.

Here are some pointers that are good to know if you're getting braces;

1/ Getting your braces put in really doesn't hurt at all. So for anyone scared about painful dentist appointments, it's honestly fine!

2/ When your braces are first in you will think that they look awful and make you look really weird. Honestly when I first got mine I refused to believe that I would get used to the look of them.. I even cried because I thought they looked so bad. In a week or so though, you will get used to them and you probably won't even notice them any more!

3/ Immediately after you get them put in it won't be painful. You'll just be able to feel a bit of pressure on your teeth. I'm not going to lie, but by the next day you will be in AGONY! Honestly, the pain is awful! I don't know which was worse, the pressure of the braces on your teeth or the fact that your braces cut into all of the sides of your mouth making your whole mouth so sore and sensitive. On top of that your mouth will feel really full due to the sudden addition of metal!. It's important that you just power through this stage. For me the awful pain lasted just under a week and then suddenly I woke up one morning and it just started to go! That doesn't sound like a long time, but during that time I even tried to make an appointment with the orthodontist to have my braces taken back out.. that's how bad the pain was! Definitely stock up on pain killers and the gel stuff (can't remember what it's called) that the orthodontist will give you. You basically put it on your braces to stop it cutting into the side of your mouth. Honestly this stuff was like a GOD SEND at the time.

4/ Eating will feel SO weird at first as it's kind of like your whole mouth is a different shape. It will also be painful too! I recommend eating softer foods. I think I just ate pasta when I got mine, but soup and ice cream would probably be the easiest thing!

5/ It's probably a good idea to start carrying tooth picks with you. When you eat, food will get stuck in between the wires... glamorous right?! It's best if you can brush your teeth after every meal and plenty of mouth wash is always good!

6/ Getting braces taken out is one of the BEST feelings EVER! Honestly it's that good, it makes having braces 100% worth it. Your mouth just feels so light and free! I also no longer have a fear of the dentist. After having appointments with the orthodontist every 6-8 weeks you just get used to it!

So despite the horrible pain and all the messing about, I would say having braces is SO worth it. Within the first month I could see the change and my teeth just started looking better and better. Teeth that I didn't even know were out of place started to move into place! It was amazing! I absolutely love my teeth now. 

If you have been told you can have braces but you're not sure about it, I would just say GO FOR IT! You definitely won't regret it at all.

Have any of you had braces?