Saturday, 18 July 2015

The Primal Pantry



Getting to try healthy sweet treats has got to be one of the highlights of blogging. Of course I have unhealthy foods every now and then (if you don't - how?) but I'd say I probably eat healthy 80% of the time. I am quite lucky in the fact that I love healthy food and my Mum always makes meals completely from scratch.. so there's never those moments where I can't be bothered to cook and end up ordering a takeaway.

When it comes to sugar cravings, I feel like it's a lot harder to find something that's healthy compared to healthy savoury snacks which are so easy *hummus, veggies, pitta and nuts springs to mind mmMMMmmMm*. I was lucky enough to get to try out the complete range of bars from The Primal Pantry. The Primal Pantry bring the UK's 1st Paleo bars made with nuts, dried fruit, almond oil and nothing else! They are gluten free, dairy free and suitable for both vegetarians and vegans. The ingredients are pretty similar to Nakd bars (which I also love) so I was super excited to try these. 

First of all I give 10/10 for the packaging. I love the pretty pastel colours and cute illustrations on the wrapper. Not that it makes a difference to the taste, it just looks nice:)

The main ingredient of the bars are dates. You would expect a bar mostly made of dates to taste very healthy and meh but it's surprisingly nice. Okay it isn't like eating a bar of Cadbury's dairy milk *drools*.. but the dates give the bar a fudgy and cakey texture. Then the chunks of whatever nut flavour the bar is is, add a nice crunch. 

My favourite flavour was the hazelnut and cocoa variety. The combination of nuttiness and the cocoa is amazing. It's like a chocolate brownie but without the processed ingredients. Lifetime supply of these please? I also enjoyed the Coconut & Macadamia flavour as I love coconuts and macadamia nuts.. (that sounds silly but the combination is magical). In fact I liked every flavour and thought the flavours went together really well. The only one I thought tasted slightly more healthy than the others was the almond and cashew one. I think would be nice with some added cocoa (can you tell I like chocolate..).

I think these are such a handy snack for when you're hungry between meals or even for a quick breakfast on the go. They are all around the 200 calorie mark which I think is great for a decent sized and filling snack. If you're trying to eat healthy, these are perfect for fulfilling those sugary needs. I would say that they are just as nice as Nakd bars but are bigger so much better for a snack when you're feeling quite peckish. 

The Primal Pantry bars are available to buy directly from the Primal Pantry website (£27 for a box of 18) but they are also available from other health food retailers for around £1.40 each. 

What's your favourite healthy snack?

*the bars were gifted*