Friday, 16 December 2016

A hair change


Between the ages of 13 and 20, I always had the same very long, all one length hair. I thought I wouldn't ever have my hair any other way until I suddenly became fond of the idea of cutting my hair a bit shorter. I feel like shorter styles are so ~trendy~ at the moment and I tend to follow the crowd so hey, thought I'd give it a go. 



I haven't actually been to a proper hairdresser since I was 14 so I just cut my hair myself! So many people seem to find that crazy but it's honestly not difficult in the slightest - when your hair is all one length anyway. I decided to cut my hair a little shorter and I did this about 3 times until my hair would probably be classed as a long bob? I don't know the technical terms.. but yep, you can see in the pictures. 

I was worried I'd regret the cut but the only thing I regret is not doing it sooner. 

  • It makes my hair look so much thicker because I no longer have that long straggly mop. 
  • It requires half the effort to wash and dry it.
  • It requires half the effort to style it.
  • It doesn't need to be styled to look presentable because it is no longer just a long mop.
  • I personally think it looks a lot nicer, makes me look more 'grown up' and less 'little girl-y'. 

I stuck with that hair style for a little while but I swear once you start changing your hair, you get addicted to that hair changing buzz - just me? I feel like fringes are also SO in at the moment and I'd been contemplating cutting one in for a while but kept chickening out. Megan Ellaby posted the most beaut selfie on Instagram (see below) and that was all the encouragement I needed.


I also feel like I was inspired by Arden Rose, Jess Woodley from MIC and of course the queen of the fringe, Zooey Deschanel. I watched a few Youtube tutorials on how to cut a fringe and voila. The fringe happened. I personally really love how it looks and think it flatters my face shape a lot more than when I didn't have a fringe. ALSO..

  • I no longer have to get my eyebrows done or make any effort with my brows.
  • I no longer need any foundation on my forehead.
  • A simple top knot hairstyle actually looks stylish and not like I've just shoved it up to go to the gym.. not that I ever go to the gym.


If you've had the same hair style for a long time then I would definitely recommend changing it up. It's super fun and like me, you might realise that you actually suit something a lot different than what you thought. 

What do you think of my new hair style? Have you changed your hair recently?